This is our staple salsa recipe. Of course these days we just chop any mix of the ingredients below and put them in a bowl, stir and enjoy. We rarely even add the olive oil, it just doesn’t need it. But as a guide to get going…ah, enjoy the freshness!
We really love it when the tomatillos are ready and we use those as the green., but with the Green Zebra tomatoes it would also be great! Multi colors are great, but it can be any mix. We have found when you are tripling (or more) the recipe, it is best to go easy on the lemon juice and olive oil and then add as needed for taste.
This is the season for fresh salsa with chips, eggs, meats, veggies — really just with a spoon is fine too!
- 3 cups chopped tomatoes (red, yellow, sungold, tomatillos, unripe green—mix of your choice)
- 2 T chopped cilantro
- 4 t olive oil (optional)
- 2 T lemon or lime juice
- 1 hot or medium pepper chopped
- Any number of sweet colorful peppers, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 scallions or some onion, chopped
- 1/2 t salt
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Serve at room temperature or chilled.