Adapted from Vegetarian Times
This is always a favorite and in honor of the major beet harvest underway and these cool fall temps that make a warm mug of Fat Toad Farm Caramel milk and a red velvet brownie seem like the perfect treat, here is this farm favorite! To those of you who haven’t yet sampled these gems at one of our farm events, try. these. brownies. They’re that good.
- 2 large cooked beets (1 cup beet puree)
- ½ cup unsalted butter (1 stick), melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup chocolate chips (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F, and lightly grease a 9-inch square baking dish.
2. Purée beets in food processor until smooth, scraping down sides as necessary. You should have 1 cup. Set aside
3. Whisk together butter and sugar in bowl until smooth. Add vanilla, then whisk in eggs, one at a time. Stir in beets.
4. Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, and espresso powder in separate bowl. Fold flour mixture into beet mixture until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into prepared pan.
5. Bake 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out almost clean. Cool, then cut into 16 squares.
NOTE: Doubled this recipe is perfect in a 9×13 pan. And beet puree freezes beautifully!
*To make the Beet Puree:
Wash and cook beets (no need to peel, just trim), either boil for 20-30 minutes until tender or use leftover roasted beets. Puree in food processor until smooth. You can make a large batch ahead and freeze it, taking it out as you need it for brownies, cake…or even pancakes!