As the end of the tomato season begins and the plants undergo their natural senescence (assisted or not) we have lots of green tomatoes! Fried green tomatoes are tasty and quick to make (and great with hot sauce) – take some firm ones home and they’ll last all week.
- 3 large green tomatoes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 2 tsp chili powder or spicy seasoning mix
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup bread crumbs or cornmeal
- 1/4 cup oil or fat
- Cut tomatoes into thick slices (about 1/2 inch).
- Place in separate shallow bowls: (a) the flour, salt, and chili powder, (b) milk and egg, and (c) bread crumbs and cornmeal.
- Heat the oil in a skillet on medium heat. Beat the egg and milk together. Dip tomato slices in the flour-seasoning mix, then milk-egg mixture, then the bread crumbs.
- In the skillet, fry the coated tomato slices, a few at at time, for 3-5 minutes on each side or until brown.
- Set the cooked tomatoes on paper towels to drain.